Skip to main content

Making Use of Digital Resources


Did you know that many libraries offer digital resources like audiobooks? If you did, then great, I hope that means you are using them. If you live in a traffic congested area or for some other reason spend a great deal of time in your car, then why not make that time productive, and maybe even a little less stressful? One way to do this would be to use said digital resources from your local library and listen to audiobooks while in the car. Hopefully this will allow you to better yourself during a time when you ordinarily would only be listening to music, news, or getting frustrated with the person in front of you that didn’t signal.

My local library (Sno-Isle Libraries www.sno-isle.org) utilizes a neat app called Libby. This makes it incredibly easy for me, because it automatically downloads audiobooks (or e-books) that I have placed on hold as they are available (you can edit this if you don’t like it). That way I have all the books I am currently listening to ready to go, even if I am in an area where cell service is spotty because I am not streaming, and I don’t have to remember to download ahead of time. Since it is on my phone, I always have it with me (now if I just start taking headphones with me so I can listen when I am waiting for appointments). While I am driving I can just connect my phone via Bluetooth and enjoy audiobooks through the car stereo system, assuming my daughters aren’t screaming.

If you don’t have access to these resources then also check-out christianaudio.com. They offer a free audiobook for download every month. This may not always be something that can help you to be better in one of your God-given roles, but if it ends up being a fiction work, at least it will be wholesome fiction, not a Harlequin or something along those lines. Plus, I wholly encourage reading for fun and relaxation as well as to better yourself.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Warfare Pt. 2 - Strength in Numbers

Jesus endured the greatest testing any human will ever endure when He spent 40 days in the wilderness without food or drink, and He was tried and tempted (Mt 4:1-11; Mk 1:12-13; Lk 4:1-13. While Jesus walked on this earth He was fully God, yet also fully man. By allowing Himself to become man He was able to truly be tempted by Satan's lies. He was alone during this time, alone in the sense that there was no other human with Him. However, this does not require that we should do spiritual battle alone. Indeed, Jesus shortly before being arrested asks His disciples to pray for Him in Gethsemane, a time when He knew His time to die was drawing near and the temptation to not die must have been brutal (Mt 26:36-45; Mk 14:32-41; Lk 22:39-46).  Paul instructs us to keep watch over ourselves to avoid temptation and to "[b]ear one another's burdens" (Gal 6:2). Bearing one another up helps us, as Paul says, to not begin to think to highly of ourselves, and just like a yoke,...

Living with Purpose

I think we all struggle at one point or another with what we are supposed to do with our life. I agree with Matthew Perman in his book  What's Best Next  that we are all created with the same purpose. That purpose could be summed up by saying we are created to love and worship Yahweh. Beyond that, however, what does God want me to do with my life? Should I be a missionary or a rock star, a receptionist or a ski instructor? Maybe your calling is your career, or perhaps your calling is outside of your career. Ask God to help you with that, but even before you figure that out, you can be living with purpose. At this site you will find resources and my thoughts on how to live each day with purpose.  First thoughts Pray and invite God into your day.  I hate mornings, but my morning is much better if I start out by talking to God. Some of my best mornings start with my girls and me praying and reading a short children's Bible story even before b...

The need for apologetics - be prepared

“We have learned that ‘politics is downstream from culture, not the other way around . . . . Real change has to start with the culture.’” (page 18 of Total Truth by Nancy Pearcey) I have been reading about apologetics a lot recently. Thinking about its usefulness both inside and outside the church. After all, we are called to make disciples of all nations (Mt 28:19) and while the truth of God is evident in nature (Rom 1:20), I believe sound apologetics within the church can help people walk through their doubt more easily. With Easter season just recently behind us, I had a memory brought to mind frequently in the last few weeks. When I was a Freshman at Pacific Lutheran University, I attended the Easter Chapel service. One of my friends was in the choir group that was singing at this service, so I was especially excited for some Easter selections sung by the ensemble she was a part of. The homily was to be delivered by a professor rather than one of our campus pastors. The music...